Thursday 19 May 2011

Revlon Colorburst Review-Strawberry (06)

This was a bit of a surprise purchase for me. See, I much prefer lipsticks to gloss. And I really dislike shimmery lipgloss, they always look so obviously glittery on me. For some reason though, this new line of glosses from Revlon drew me right in from first sight. I tried for several days to convince myself I didn't need it, I would hate it and never wear it. Even though Australia didn't get the entire line, I still managed to find 5 colours that I wanted right away.

I decided to give in to temptation, but just buy one. Well, at least to start with! At $21AUD, it's at the upper end of the lower-bracket brand lipglosses, but the price is worth it. I chose Strawberry, a pinky coral which could be the lipgloss cousin of Vegas Volt. The shimmer changes colour under different light, but it seems to be silver/gold.

Like my other Revlon lipgloss, Peach Petal from the Superlustrous line, the packaging feels and looks much more expensive than it is. It applies really well straight from the wand. No streaking or gloopiness. It's also nicely pigmented. There's really nothing worse than lipglosses that apply clear, no matter how vivid it looks in the tube. When I was swatching these, all of them save one impressed me and my little sister with their pigmentation. They certainly live up to the expectations conjured up by the name 'Colorburst'.


It feels comfortable on the lips, the shimmer isn't gritty or noticeable at all. It has no taste (unlike plastic-fantastic tasting NARS) and no obvious fragrances have been added either. Of course it doesn't wear as long as a lipstick, but it does hold up for about an hour and half with the occasional sips of water. Best of all, the shimmer is very subtle and adds dimension to the lips rather than a glitter effect. I do wish this line had a few "matte", un-shimmery choices though, as I feel shimmery lipglosses only suit me for evening or dolled up casual events rather than for everyday wear.


Pros: Widely available (I've seen it in Priceline, Target and some independent chemists), excellent colour selection, great quality with no obvious fragrance or taste, pigmented.
Cons: At the upper-end costwise for a chemist brand (worth it though, in my opinion!), Australia doesn't have the entire collection, no non-shimmery/cream formulations available.


                                                                                                          
                                                                                 

1 comment:

  1. Ooh this looks very pretty! I'm actually heading to Ulta right now with a coupon, I think I may purchase one of these. :-D

    ReplyDelete